- 125 grams all-purpose flour
- 125 grams flour, self- raising
- 1\8 teaspoon salt
- 50 grams almonds
- 225 grams butter, unsalted
- 225 grams sugar
- 5 eggs
- 50 grams coconut , desiccated
- 75 grams icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter an 8-inch spring release baking pan and dust with flour, knocking out excess flour. In a bowl sift together flours and salt and keep aside. Blanched and finely chop the almonds.
2. Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. In a separate bowl whisk the 4 eggs and 1 egg yolk together and then gradually beat into butter mixture.
3. Fold the flours, half coconut and half almonds into the mixture. Turn the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake the cake in middle of oven for about 30-35 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a bowl beat the egg white until stiff.
Beat in icing sugar and then fold in the remaining desiccated coconut and almonds.
5. Pour the meringue topping on to the partially baked cake and scatter with shredded coconut. Return the pan to the oven and bake until a tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 15-20 minutes. Cover and cool on wire rack.