- 1 cup Pigeon pea split (arhar dal/toor dal)
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 4 tbsps Ghee
- 3 cloves Garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Dry mango powder (amchur)
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 medium sized Onion (finely chopped)
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
1. Heat half the ghee in a pan. Add half the chopped onion and garlic and sauté till golden. Add turmeric powder, dal, two cups of water and salt to taste. Stir and bring to a boil.
2. Lower the heat and simmer for twenty minutes. Add mango powder and simmer for another fifteen minutes.
3. Heat the remaining ghee in another pan, add cumin seeds. When they begin to change colour add the remaining onion and garlic and sauté till pink. Add red chilli powder and sauté for two to three minutes.
4. Add this seasoning to the dal, simmer for two minutes and take off the heat. Serve hot.